Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Homemade Fruit Leather

Last week I had a tremendous amount of plums, peaches and apricots that were very ripe.  I pitted them and then cooked down the fruit for a couple hours in a covered pot.  After running the cooked fruit through my trusty Foley food mill, I had a huge bowl of puree left.  I added a little bit of sugar and then cooked to hard ball stage.  The plum "jellies" never firmed up enough...they were like a thick, smooth jam.  Delicious, but we already have too much jam.

I stirred in a box of apricot jello and then spread the jammy goo onto parchment-lined baking sheets.  Baked at 200 degrees for about 1 hour, then left in the oven overnight.  This morning they were tacky and almost done.  A quick blast of heat and a rest in the oven (about 2 hours) had them ready for peeling and eating.

They peeled off easily and taste so delicious.  I rolled the parchment into long tubes (GIANT fruit roll-ups).  They will not last long with this crew.  Don't have room for a dehydrator, but this method worked really well.



3 comments:

  1. I'll defintely have to try this, Andrea. Thanks for the the tutorial!
    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it totally turned out! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you made your own fruit snack! Looks sooo good, I need to try this!

    -Christine
    http://trendenvy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin