Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day


I will unabashedly admit that I adore Valentine's Day.

My mom always did a wonderful job of celebrating with little gifts at our plate and a festive meal. One year we had piles of crab legs & drawn butter. (My dad did my Uncle J's taxes and that was his thank you gift from Alaska).

We had a kid-friendly affair with balloons and paper plates. Aunt Betty joined us and a grand time was had by all! For locals, we ordered Phillie's pizza-Mrs. Phillie's Double Decker. Luckily, I hit the gym for an hour last night because the pizza was stuffed with cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, sausage & barbecue sauce. We rounded out the meal with a Greek salad that I made and Rice Crispy treats for dessert.

It was the first year in many that I didn't make a heart shaped cake with buttercream & red cherry hearts. The tradition was passed on since T & I made 3 batches of treats for his class. The 1st batch was pink rice crispies, the 2nd was lavender and the 3rd was a deep violet. I piled the monochromatic treats on a tray & the kids enjoyed them.

Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day.

Coming soon...a blog post called "What's Your Farmville?" A follow up to a discussion we had at Bible study. And, no, I do not play Farmville. More later...

2 comments:

  1. Let's see the heart shaped cakes! I like the idea of little gifts. I got my daughter a Reese's Heart and a DVD for Valentine's. Your bags sure make if fun for the children to look forward to. I might try putting something in a small gift bag like you did next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will see if I can find a picture of one of my cakes, a recreation of a memorable cake that I won at a cake walk when I was in grade school...T rec'd Nacho Libre & Reesee's hearts, my Aunt rec'd makeup, ELizabeth Arden perfume & coconut candy, Husband & C got candy & a framed pic for his desk. I got my favorite...Godiva!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin