Friday, November 12, 2010

New Boots


Breaking in, breaking down, softening, molding....


New cowboy boots are stiff.


Very.

Very.

Stiff.


After taking my new boots from the box and appreciating their rich leather smell, I excitedly went to slip my foot into the left boot. "Slipping" into the boot soon turned into coaxing and pulling and tugging. Once I finally walked around in both boots, they fit well, so I knew that much "breaking in" was in store. (Yee-haw...that is for my sister, Lisa).


Not being the most patient person, I felt exasperated that I had to wait (and work!) to transform these boots into soft, supple leather. And that I was the only one who could do the job since I am the bearer of Susan's feet.


These boots have reminded me of a friend of mine...let's call this friend D. If D were a boot, she would be a steel-toed combat boot, constructed from the thickest hide known to man. D would resist any foot that dared to even think to try her on for size.


D wasn't always a tough boot. Once upon a time, she was something else. Not sure what, but certainly not a tough boot.


Just like my new boots, D is softening. By the grace of God, she is seeing that maybe her leather isn't impenetrable. It has been fun to see transformation, melting of fear and pain. Pure joy wells up in me when she calls to ask for prayer or sends a card telling me "thank you".


Tonight I have been thinking about starting a neighborhood book club. The fear of the unknown is just as palpable as the excitement of meeting new friends, having thought-provoking discussions, etc. Looking forward to breaking in some new friendships, opening my home and heart to the people that God has graciously brought into my life and my neighborhood.


2 Timothy 1:7 says:

For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.


Praying that I will step forward in courage and forge new relationships through this book club. Gos is really showing me how I am much like those new boots, that he has so much molding and shaping to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin