Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Virtue Candle

A couple of months ago, I was reading a post about beautifying your home for fall. The poster suggested adding elements of soft music, candles, lovely smells to your home to create a peaceful oasis for your family. This clever poster also challenged to say a quick prayer of thanks or your heart's desire every time you saw your brightly burning candle.

Always one for a challenge, I bought a pretty candle with a mild apple cider fragrance. Although I sometimes forgot, when I saw the candle I would ask God to help me with patience, a virtue I am sorely lacking.

Colossians 3: 12-14 says:
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

This is a verse that I have memorized and am acutely aware that patience is the virtue that most resists being "bound" in my like. My family could offer a laundry list of examples here...

My little apple cider candle has become a sweet little reminder, my virtue candle. When he burns out, I will purchase another. Realizing that there are always fresh ways to be challenged and convicted to grow and be pruned.

E & I had a weekend sans enfants and it was fabulous. We chose to stay home because I have been very sick with a chronic cough. It was so relaxing to sleep in, eat out, order Giordanos and eat it in front of the TV together-no kids!! Although we don't have cable, we watched Life is Beautiful. It is blustery outside and I am planning a week of soups & comfort meals. The house is sparkly clean and smells like peppermint (thank you, Scentsy). And yes, my candle is burning.




3 comments:

  1. You referred to the candle as "he"...does this mean that you named him? Or are you implying that it is the Holy Spirit reminding you to pray when you see it? If that is the case...shock, horror!! the Holy Spirit "burns out"? I say this all with a smile and sarcastic tone. :)

    Your house looks cute and cozy...I'm glad that you and Enrique had a nice weekend to yourselves. I got to see T & C. My boys were ecstatic and have talked about it since we skyped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this :) I think you are referring to Courtney's post @ Women Living Well; I, too, began lighting a candle in my home after I read her post. What a difference it makes! It serves as a reminder to me, sitting atop the edge of my kitchen peninsula, and also adds to the tone and warmth on my home.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin