Monday, May 16, 2011

Salsa

OK, I am mostly posting this for my friend, Kelly, because her husband loves salsa & I sent Enrique to their men's Bible study tonight with a jar for him. If he likes it, then you can pull the recipe off here, Kelly.

The salsa is similar to my mother-in-laws, although her salsa is far superior to anything I can duplicate. She makes a cooked salsa that is out of this world & brought some over last weekend. Even though I followed her detailed instructions, mine wasn't even close to being as good as hers. So, I used her base recipe and added a bit to balance.


This will be soooo good when our many tomatoes come in. So far I have planted 12 (?) varieties.


The Collaboration Salsa


5 medium tomatoes, quartered

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped

1 chipotle in adobo sauce (freeze the rest in a ziploc)

1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Juice of 1 lime

Salt


Heat olive oil in Dutch oven or heavy pan. Saute onion until soft and throw in tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes. They will start getting soft and fall apart. Toss in your chipotle, garlic and jalepeno and cook about 5 minutes longer. I use my immersion blender to gently break it up and smooth it all out, leaving some chunks. You could put it in your blender, too.


Now taste & add your cilantro, lime and salt. I added some Adobo seasoning and a bit of sugar tonight, too (just a teensy sprinkle).


That's it.


Speaking of my mother in law, she is amazing. Such a gentle, generous resourceful woman. I am lucky my husband inherited her mellow personality and kind heart. Her children are wonderful and examples of her beautiful heart.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to attempt to make this salsa sometime. Rachel constantly tells people about her Aunt Susan's really yummy salsa. The rest of us love it too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin